Week One and Week Two

 Week One


This blog will document my journey through not only my exercise regimen, although that will be the majority of it, but my physical activity as a whole and wellness reflection. 

    This week I did high intensity interval training for four days that included a mix of weight lifting, gymnastics, and cardio as well. Below I will attach a link to a very useful resource to help any new beginners to CrossFit to understand the movements and equipment, or the "lingo."

    This week, I was able to apply the concept of self responsibility and love by journaling three days out of the week. In the past I used to journal everyday, however, I recently have not been able to, but changed that this week. This has made me more aware of my emotions and able to interpret why I may be short, or frustrated. Part of why I love to exercise so much is not only that it physically makes me feel great but that it really helps me mentally to get emotions out and adrenaline going. I am more focused and present at work and with friends and family. 

    Another way this week that I have helped my overall wellness was the decision to prepare all of my lunches for the week on Sunday, that way I knew I would eat healthy and didn't have to worry about time or energy to pack something healthy every night. This week I prepared roasted sweet potatoes, ground turkey burgers, and asparagus to take to work. In addition I packed plain Greek yogurt with baggies of almonds and raspberries to put in it, and a Larabar for an afternoon snack. I have always been intentional about drinking a lot of water, however, I measured my water intake daily this week and realized I drink a lot during the morning hours and early afternoon but when I get home from work I tend to drink less, and often wake up thirsty at night. I plan to focus on my water intake during the later afternoon this coming week. 

    In addition to exercise, eating healthy, and journaling, I (shockingly) have been able to stick to my goal of doing yoga three times a week. Stretching has been difficult for me in the past and I often shrugged it off as a last priority. However, I can see the effects of dedicating time to do yoga and stretch and it has only ben ONE week. I feel less sore and more comfortable when I have to sit for longer periods due to school and work. 

    Now, for more detail into my exercise this week I will include my workouts below. I do a program called CrossFit and really enjoy it. I love weight lifting and have a background in competitive gymnastics, so it is a fun way to continue those foundational skills as I get older. My purpose for doing CrossFit is mostly to maintain a healthy lifestyle and remain strong so that I am able to live life fully with those around me. 

Here are my workouts for this week below: 

Monday: 

Warm-up
1 ROUND
25ft High Knees
25ft Butt Kickers
10 Scap Pull-Ups
10 Scap Push-Ups
3 Wall Walks or 5 Inch Worms
Into...
1 ROUND
100m Run
3 Strict Pull-Up or 5 Ring Rows
:20 HS Hold or DB Overhead Hold
3 HSPU Negative or 5 Pike Push-Up
Workout
Wade (Time)
For time, wearing a 20-lb. vest or body armor:
Run 1,200 meters
Then, 4 rounds of:
   12 strict pull-ups
   9 strict dips
   6 strict handstand push-ups
Then, run 1,200 meters

Tuesday:
Warm-up
2 ROUNDS
12 Plank KB Taps
6 Groiners
6 KB Deadlift
6 Goblet Squats
Into…
2 ROUNDS
12 Alternating Superman
6 BB Kang Squats
6 KB Swings
4/4 KB Suitcase Lunge*

*Perform 4 lunges with the KB in one hand, and 4 Lunges with the KB in the other hand
Strength
Deadlift (2RM)
ON A 20:00 RUNNING CLOCK…
Build to 2RM Deadlift

(Score is Weight)
Workout
Metcon (AMRAP - Rounds and Reps)
AMRAP x 6 MINUTES
6 DBL KB Farmers Lunge (53/35)|(35/26)
12 DBL KB Russian Swing
18 Sit-Ups

-Rest 1:30-

AMRAP x 6 MINUTES
6 DBL KB Farmers Lunge
12 DBL KB Russian Swing
18 Sit-Ups

(Score is Rounds + Reps)


Wednesday:
Warm-up
AMRAP x 3 MINUTES
10 Alt. Lunges
10 Push-Up to Pike
20 Jumping Jacks
Into…
AMRAP x 5 MINUTES
10 Tuck Jumps
10 Tempo Strict Press (empty BB)
20 Jumping Jacks
Strength
Shoulder Press (2RM)
ON A 15:00 RUNNING CLOCK…
Build to 2RM Strict Press

(Score is Weight)
Workout
Metcon (Time)
FOR TIME
50-30-10
Push Press (115/75)|(75/55)
Box Jumps (20)

(Score is Time)

Friday: 
Warm-up
200m Run
Into…
2 SETS BARBELL WARM-UP (3-5 reps of each)
Clean Grip RDL
Hang Hi-Pull
Hang Muscle Clean
Hang Power Clean
Strict Press
Push Press
Push Jerk
Into…
200m Row
"9/11" (Time)
FOR TIME
2001m Run*
11 Box Jumps (30/24)|(24/20)
11 Thrusters (155/105)|(115/75)
11 Chest-to-Bar Pull-Ups
11 Power Cleans
11 Handstand Push-Ups
11 Hang Power Clean
11 Toes to Bar
11 Deadlifts
11 Push Jerks
2001m Row

*Original workout format attributed to CF BelAir.
**Athletes may start with either the run or the row and finish the workout with the other.

(Score is Time)

LINK TO CROSSFIT LINGO RESOURCE

Week Two

After a 5:00 am workout very tired

    This week I was able to do the same as last week as far as physical activity goes, below I have documented the workouts I did for each day (except Thursdays because I typically take Thursdays off). There are certain workouts in this week that I really loved, for example, Monday's workout. It had quite a bit of core work in combination with some gymnastics and some intense cardio. This was definitely high intensity but shorter work time, I love these kinds of workouts. The workout I did Wednesday was much harder for me. It was twenty for minutes of moderate intensity, and I struggle in the endurance category. This was good for me, although during it I was pretty unhappy. These workouts challenge me and force me to work on things I don't particularly love. Below I have posted a video from youtube thats really helpful when thinking about rowing. Proper form is crucial not only for efficacy but also to prevent injury. 

    Saturday was such a fun day for me. I love the mountains and was able to be home in Asheville, NC with my family. On Saturday we went hiking, it was nothing incredibly strenuous because my nephew was with us and my dad's knees aren't the greatest. We hiked about three miles total, but these are my favorite physical activities because they remind me why I try to focus on my wellness. If I am able to hike three miles while still carrying on conversations and actually having fun, it is worth it. 

    I also focused on nutrition this week, making sure to prepare meals ahead of time and get groceries, that way I am not tempted to spend too much money and eat less healthy food. I also increased my water intake like I had mentioned last week and I definitely woke up not feeling dehydrated and could tell a big difference. 

    This week I also made a point to pay attention to my breathing. I set reminders for three times a day to spend two minutes deep breathing. This was SO hard for me. Every time my timer went on I was tempted to keep doing what I was doing instead of breathing intentionally. But I did not ignore them and I found that I could loosen the tension in my muscles and it allowed stress to leave, even if just a little bit. I will definitely be keeping these reminders in my phone the breathe! 


Monday:

Warm-up
2 ROUNDS
10/10 Leg Swings
5 Bootstrappers
5 Inch Worms + Push-Up
5/5 Single Leg RDL
Into...
2 ROUNDS
:20 Hollow Hold
10 Good Mornings
8 Groiners
6 Up-Downs with Jump

Extended Warm-up
Metcon (Weight)
EMOM x 12 MINUTES
MIN 1 - Building to Heavy 5-Rep Deadlift*
MIN 2 - 20 Hollow Rocks

*Start moderate and build each round. Goal is to end very close or slightly above workout weight.

Workout
Metcon (Time)
FOR TIME
10-8-6
Deadlifts (315/205)|(225/155)
10-20-30
Burpee to Target*

*Ideally 6" Above Standing Reach

Tuesday: 
Warm-up
400m Run
Into…
2 ROUNDS
5 Clean Deadlift
10 Elbow Punches
5 Strict Press
10 Scap Pull-Ups
Into…
2 ROUNDS
5 High Hang Muscle Clean
5 Hang Muscle Clean
5 Push Press
10 Small Kip Swings
Workout
Metcon (Time)
FOR TIME*
21-18-15-12
Hang Clean and Jerks (115/75)|(75/55)
Pull-Ups

*100m Run After Each Full Set.

Wednesday:
Warm-up
2 ROUNDS
10/10 Moose Antlers
10 Bent Over Reverse Plate Flys
Into…
3 ROUNDS
1:00 Row*
10 Push-Up to Pike
12 Alt Box Step-Ups**

*Increasing pace on the Row each round (EZ→ Mod → Hard)
**Start on a lower box, increase height after 1st round
Workout
Metcon (No Measure)
EMOM x 24 MINUTES
Min 1 - 250/200m Row
Min 2 - :50 Ring Dip or Bench Dip
Min 3 - :50 Burpee Box Climb Over (30/24)*

*Both feet need to come to the top of the box before getting to the opposite side

Cool Down
FOR RECOVERY
1:00 Doorway Stretch (R)
1:00 Doorway Stretch (L)
1:00 Down Dog
1:00 Seal Pose

Thursday:
Warm-up
3 ROUNDS
10 PVC Pass Thrus
10/10 Around the World PVC Pass Thrus
10 Tempo Air Squats (3111)
Into…
3 ROUNDS
10 PVC Overhead Squats
10 Alt. Samson Lunges
10 Bootstrappers
Skill
Metcon (No Measure)
3 SETS FOR QUALITY
5 Tempo Overhead Squat (3131) (45/35)|(35/15)
10 Alt. Cossack Squat

Workout
Metcon (No Measure)
4 SETS FOR QUALITY
10/10 Bulgarian Split Squats (53/35)|(35/26)
1:00 Crossbody Hold (:30 each side)*
10 DBL KB Tempo Front Squats (30X1)
1:00 DBL KB Front Rack Hold

-Rest 1:00 b/t Sets-

*For the CB Hold, one arm in KB OH Hold at extension while the other holds in Farmer's Hold. Switch position at :30 mark.








Comments